Monday 18 June 2012

Self Portraits

As much as I dislike taking self portraits, I managed to work out a really handy tool on my Nikon D700 that enabled me to shoot myself (ouch) without an assistant.
It was a function called 'Interval timer shooting': this was where I set the camera to shoot 5 pictures in the space of 3 seconds, 10 times. You can set it to shoot however many you like, and you don't have to press the shutter, the camera does it for you, and as long as you have the focal point in the area you want, then it will focus properly too!

Anyway, the concept I was going for in this little series was growing up: in some of the compositions I had a disney clock and a marshall amplifier. I have recently just finished with my band, which was my love for several years, so I thought putting the amplifier in shot would be quite relevant. To the other extreme when I was a kid I loved Disney (still do: guilty..)!
After being at PhotoTraining4U I realised I should try to focus more on what the picture actually looks like, rather than the concept: I realised if you have an amazing concept, but an 'easy' photograph, it isn't very effective, especially if the viewer doesn't understand the concept, or hasn't even been shown it. So keeping this in mind, I wanted a concept to stimulate my poses and objects in the composition, but I also wanted the pictures to be pleasing to the eye.

So, here are my top shots:







No comments:

Post a Comment